Monday, April 29, 2024

As a pop artist, I have created most of my art for the benefit of a certain facebook site, which has given me somewhat of a reputation as a Quaker pop artist. But basically, for the purposes of advertising a Cloud Quaker meeting once a week, I have taken a number of interesting pictures, let the "kandinsky" function of lunapic make them impressionist, and used them as advertising. Some people are mad at me for basically just stealing pictures I find on the web. To me, nobody really owns a view of a place, and the doctoring of it makes it legal, or so I believe, though I realize I'm walking onthe edge of copyright theft. I'm not making money off of them; that's probably my saving grace. They could sue me, but for what? Me and Andy Warhol, we just are interested in the image and people's reaction to it.

Now I have a new topic and I'm slowly warming up to it. That is, I want to market my books in about 80 sites, and really give Facebook marketing a try. To do this I'm heavily leaning on pop art. And the more I can make every site different, the better I can do. I'm not sure I have eighty separate images for any given book, but with e pluribus haiku I have almost that many, and so I find myself digging into the archives for old pop, bringing it up to the surface, and using it.

For example, in a recent campaign I was doing Do Unto, which has Barbie as a theme. I only had about ten images with Barbie but a few more were similar, and the cover images were good too. I tried to hit all eighty or so sites but in the end probably only got about sixty or seventy. Some people who are on multiple sites were surprised, I think, to find different pictures on different sites. I had one where Barbie was in the sand and it's in general best when someone has "done into" a barbie clearly. I had some Barbie pictures with no clear "do unto" idea and I ended up using them more sparingly. I only have eighty slots, might as well put the best pic possible in each one!

I cruise around the different sites, and if they let me, I drop my version fo the ad with a piece of pop art - no words on it, just a picture. These had a lot of deer bones along with the Barbies as if they'd been thrown in a pile with all the deer carcasses. My version of a twisted Georgia O'Keefe/Andy Warhol collage, and for those it's clear that someone has "done unto" both the dolls and the deer.

I am beginning to fall asleep, as I write this. The whole thing, making pop art, dropping it on FB, taking in the chats from marketers, on top of writing and door-dashing and other marketing, is wearing me out. I need to get more sleep. Warhol I'm sure would agree with me.

No comments: