Wednesday, October 28, 2020

postcards from the edge

In the 1990's I was in a funk and was making these postcards from a xerox machine in my office. The people where I worked were uncomfortable with taking money for my personal use of the company xerox machine but they were ok with it if I made a fair trade, and brought in supplies that they didn't have to use, in return for about ten cents a copy to set them up. Their machine was not sensitive enough to show the tape as in the scanner I use now, you can see the tape and of course that is unfortunate. So I have a box of old postcards that look slightly better than these images, but that I have not used fully, have not sent anywhere.

1994-1997 were the years that my marriage fell apart. My wife for inexplicable reasons became violent and had to get out; ultimately I split it up. I couldn't bring my children up in a war zone. But her unhappiness was probably both of our faults or at least something I didn't know how to do anything about. Nowadays I look back at that time and say, no wonder I had an edge when I got to work.

Before Illinois (1994), I had lived in Kansas, and that's where I'd started xerox art. It's actually a whole phase of my pop art production. Nowadays, I'm into Kandiskied impressionism, but then, this was it: black and white, xeroxed, intended for the snail mails.

No comments: